- Workshops: Caryn has been presenting community writing workshops — including how to write your life or community story — throughout the Midwest and across the country since 1992 (see here for where she’s presented). She has specialized in offering workshops for people living with serious illness, adults in career or life transition, intergenerational groups, and people of many backgrounds who want to write about their legacy and hopes, and she can customize a workshop for your group, community, or event. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- Readings & Talks: Caryn is a dynamic and engaging reader of her poetry and prose (including improvisational poetry), and she gives meaningful talks combined with her writing. She has given several hundred readings at conferences, colleges, events and occasions. Specialty offerings:
- Chasing Weather — a virtual storm chase through poetry, stories, videos, and photographs with Stephen Locke based on Stephen & Caryn’s book, Chasing Weather: Tornadoes, Tempests, and Thunderous Skies in Word and Image. Caryn and Stephen can present together, or if funds don’t allow, Caryn can present solo.
- The Holocaust and Polish Resistance — a multi-media presentation based on Caryn’s book Needle in the Bone: How a Holocaust Survivor and Polish Resistance Fighter Beat the Odds and Found Each Other.
- Kansas Humanities Council Presentations: KHC provides funding to bring speakers and discussion leaders into communities. See links below or go here.
- KHC’s TALK (Talk About Literature in Kansas) Program brings a reading series, plus all the books, to your community and a discussion leader like Caryn to present on the book and lead a lively discussion. Caryn has received high praise for her presentations since she started in 1992.
- KHC’s Speaker Bureau, and its new Water/Ways Program, which provides provides speakers from the speaker’s bureau features Caryn’s presentation “Kansas Weather in Life, Literature and Photography program.” This presentation combines an inspiring audio/visual presentation featuring Stephen Locke’s photography and videos, and Caryn sharing poetry from Kansas writers on weather, followed by writing prompts to share your stories of weather and time for discussion and more story-telling.
Keynotes: Caryn gives engaging and personalized keynote talks at conferences and arts festivals. Contact her to find out more, including seeing samples of her keynote (such as “Poetry, Miracles and the Path to the Beloved Community” in Black Mountain, N.C., or her recent presentation in Hays, Kansas, “Surviving with Grace and Gumption”)
- Performances: Caryn presents collaborative performances, featuring her poetry, songs co-written with and performed by Kelley Hunt. Learn more at Brave Voice’s performance page. She has also performed collaboratively as a poet with dancers Laura Ramber and Susan Rieger, opened for singer-songwriter Dar Williams, and with others over the years.
You can reach Caryn at CarynMirriamGoldberg@gmail.com.